5–7 June 2024, Helsinki, Finland
Deadline for proposals: 30 September 2023
7th Sibelius Academy Symposium on Music History
University of the Arts Helsinki, Helsinki Music Centre
Organisers: University of the Arts Helsinki History Forum and Sibelius Academy
The 7th Sibelius Academy Symposium on Music History provides the opportunity for music-history scholars all over the world to interrogate issues around finance, commodity and the music industry in the history of music from antiquity to the present and in all parts of the globe.
The financial condition of music has been recognised for as long as there have been studies of patronage in the music of the early-modern period or for as long as ‘opera’ has been regarded as both ‘an art and a business’. And while the domains of music publishing and the press have long been regarded as financially contingent, the 7th Sibelius Academy Symposium on Music History seeks to expand these concerns to include all types of agency related to music, commodity and finance across the globe, and all types of exchange: monetary, in-kind and reciprocal gifting.
The following (non-exhaustive) list opens up some questions that the symposium looks to explore:
· Cultural history of music and economy
· Musical celebrity
· Patronage and music
· Promotion and self-promotion of musicians
· Music publishing, engraving and other forms of dissemination
· Music institutions and their financial underpinnings
· Economic impact on the aesthetics of music
· Music as commodity
· Media and music
· Connections of the music market to other economic networks
· Musical societies
· Music collecting
· The trade in music autographs and related material
· The concept of the music industry
· Papers (20 minutes duration followed by 10 minutes discussion)
· Complete sessions and panels (two, three or four 20-minute papers, each with 10 minutes discussion)
· Panels with a freer structure (position-papers, lightning papers, responses, etc.)
· individual presentation proposals: max 300 words
· panel session proposals: max 350 words + each panelist’s proposal 200 words
The language of the conference is English.
The deadline for submissions is Saturday 30 September 2023 (23:59 Finnish time UTC+3).
Notices of acceptance will be sent by Tuesday 31 October 2023.
While it is intended that the conference will be an in-person event, the organisers will be also pleased to consider hybrid or online submissions.
The organizing committee : Anne Kauppala (committee chair) / Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki ; Mark Everist / University of Southampton, GB ; Ingeborg Zechner / University of Graz, AT ; Markus Mantere / Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki ; Saijaleena Rantanen / Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki ; Kaarina Kilpiö / Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki ; Marianne Mieskolainen (symposium secretary) / Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki ; Johanna Rauhaniemi (symposium coordinator) / Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki
On behalf of the committee,
Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki
À propos - contact | S'abonner au bulletin | Biographies de musiciens | Encyclopédie musicale | Articles et études | La petite bibliothèque | Analyses musicales | Nouveaux livres | Nouveaux disques | Agenda | Petites annonces | Téléchargements | Presse internationale | Colloques & conférences | Collaborations éditoriales | Soutenir musicologie.org.
Musicologie.org, 56 rue de la Fédération, 93100 Montreuil. ☎ 06 06 61 73 41.
Vendredi 14 Juillet, 2023