11th May 2023, London
King's College London and Online
RMA and BFE Affiliated Study Day
Call for Proposals
The emergence of a broad field of energy humanities in recent years has generated interest in the relationship between energy and society, and in cultural and artistic dimensions of energy exploration and extraction. This includes research on resulting global entanglements and colonial/neo-colonial relationships. There has to date, however, been relatively little work that focuses on the musical and broader sonic implications of energy regimes and infrastructures, and few studies to suggest how sound might contribute to energy humanities more broadly.
This study day aims to open up a space to discuss energy sonics, with a particular focus on oil and other fossil fuels. Topics might include but are not limited to:
* Sounds of fossil fuel exploration and extraction
* Sonics of 'oil towns'
* Creative practice that engages with sounds produced by fossil fuels, their extraction, refinement and processing etc.
* Sounds of energy company promotional films
* Sounds of colonial/neo-colonial relationships engendered through fossil fuels
* Sounds of decarbonization and environmental justice
* Sounds of social unrest and conflict related to fossil fuels (strikes, revolution, etc.)
* Energetic and political infrastructures of voice and voicing produced by and through fossil fuels (e.g. via Big Oil), and strategies of listening to and against these voices
* Material implications of petro-derived products used in the production and consumption of music (carbon microphones, plastics, etc.)
Proposals are invited for 20-minute presentations, followed by 10 minutes of questions and discussion. We also welcome proposals for presentation of sonic practice work.
Deadline for submission: Friday 20th January 2023. We aim to get back to proposers by mid-February.
We will be offering a number of student/unsupported scholar/EDI bursaries towards travel costs, supported by the RMA and BFE. Details to follow in due course.
Annette Davison, University of Edinburgh
Laudan Nooshin, City, University of London
Gavin Williams, King's College London
À propos - contact | S'abonner au bulletin | Biographies de musiciens | Encyclopédie musicale | Articles et études | La petite bibliothèque | Analyses musicales | Nouveaux livres | Nouveaux disques | Agenda | Petites annonces | Téléchargements | Presse internationale | Colloques & conférences | Collaborations éditoriales | Soutenir musicologie.org.
Musicologie.org, 56 rue de la Fédération, 93100 Montreuil. ☎ 06 06 61 73 41
Vendredi 20 Janvier, 2023