27-29 March 2020, Lucca
Complesso Monumentale di San Micheletto
CFP Deadline: 13 October 2019
Keynote Speakers : Barry Cooper (University of Manchester), William Kinderman (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign)
Our conference aims to explore the multivalent connections between Beethoven and Europe through multifaceted study of the music both in a European and, where relevant, a wider global multi-cultural context. We would encourage consideration of the theme through the intermingling of and interface between topics and sub-disciplines, text and music, analysis and interpretation, genesis and reception. The programme committee encourages submissions within the following areas, although other topics related to the concept of ‘Beethoven and Europe’ are also welcome:
• The European as complement or contrast to the Universal nature of Beethoven’s musical and/or personal identity
• Connections with the forms, styles and influences of particular European countries or cultures
• Setting of, and interest in texts in different languages
• Dramatic works and their relation to historical contexts
• Political attitudes reflected in works or words
• Beyond Europe’s boundaries: Beethoven and Asia
• Reception across Europe and in countries related to Europe
• Historic performance as a means of understanding context, and as a basis for modern performance
• Innovative analyses, sketch studies and reinterpretation of sources as a way to explore issues of the universal and particular
• Dispersal of source material across European libraries and collections
The official languages of the conference are English and Italian. Papers selected at the conference will be published in a miscellaneous volume.
Papers are limited to twenty minutes in length, allowing time for questions and discussion. Please submit an abstract of no more than 500 words and one page of biography.
All proposals should be submitted by email to <conferences -at- luigiboccherini.org>.
For any additional information, please contact:
Dr. Massimiliano Sala
conferences -at- luigiboccherini.org
Musicologie.org, 56 rue de la Fédération, 93100 Montreuil ☎ 06 06 61 73 41
© musicologie.org 2018
Lundi 7 Octobre, 2019