4-6 January 2018, University of Huddersfield
Call for contributions
The Department of Music and Music Technology at the University of Huddersfield is delighted to host the 2018 British Forum for Ethnomusicology and Royal Musical Association Research Students’ Conference. We invite UK and international postgraduates to present their research in an inclusive, friendly, and supportive atmosphere. The conference will also include training and careers workshops, informal performance opportunities, and social and networking events. We are especially pleased to introduce Professor Kevin Dawe (University of Kent) and Dr Katherine Hambridge (University of Durham) as our keynote speakers.
In addition to proposals relating to any aspect of musical research (including including composition, audiovisual media, performance, and/or other creative practices), we particularly welcome submissions that engage with the conference theme of ‘music inside and out’. Today’s global politics of inclusion and exclusion raises fundamental questions around power, cultural expression, and the status of knowledge, challenging music researchers to think about these ideas in relation to their own work. Relevant topics might include:
* Identities in/and music and musical research
* ‘Taking back control’: music and/as resistance
* Real and imagined borders: genres, methodologies, disciplines
* Truths and fictions: whose knowledge counts?
* Musical hegemonies and counter-hegemonies
We also encourage proposals for the following specific session calls (participants may submit one abstract to the general call and an additional one to either of these sessions):
* Composers and sonic artists to submit work for performance on the Huddersfield Immersive Sound System (http://www.thehiss.org)
* Concentrate and Constraint: a two-part ‘remix’ session offering facilitated collaboration between presenters and composers
Please send proposals of 250 words to bferma2018 -at- hud.ac.uk by 27 October 2017. Include your name, email address, affiliation, the title of your presentation, and any unusual space, format, or equipment requirements. For full details see http://bit.ly/2sMnSwI.
© musicologie.org 2017
Jeudi 26 Octobre, 2017 1:22